Sunday, October 10, 2010

The duck and swan families

Hello,

I really like it when my mom bring me to ANU. I like to enjoy the ANU garden. It is very big and beautiful. I like to observe the swan and duck families. They live in the creek at ANU garden.
My mom wants to find the white swan, but there is no white swan at ANU. They are all black swan (Cygnus atratus).

This is a black swan family. A mommy swan, a daddy swan and their two cute babies (cygnets). A mommy swan usually lays egg in the early of spring. It takes 35-40 days for the eggs to hatch into a cute cygnet.


Look at this! Mommy and daddy swan give swimming lesson to their babies.


They also give diving lesson to their babies! Do you think the cygnets will be a diver, a swimmer or a dancer?


The swan is almost entirely herbivorous. There was a lizard on the edge of the creek, an Australian water dragon, to be exact an Eastern water dragon (Physignathus lesueurii lesueurii). When daddy swan looked at it, he attacked it. "Honk! Honk!" Suddenly the lizard open its nuchal crest (a central row of spikes at the base of the head). It was so beautiful, but my mom couldn't take the picture.


Moreover, they teach their babies how to make friends with the duck family.


This is the duck family. Mother duck is teaching "eating manner" to their babies (ducklings). "Be quiet when you are eating! No fighting! You have to share the food with your 14 brothers and sisters!" said mommy duck.


"Follow the leader! Keep walking!" cried daddy duck. "Quack, quack, quack", answered the ducklings.


Well, that's my observation about the swan and the duck family. I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment