Sunday, January 16, 2011

Everyone belongs!

Hello,

A week ago, after I had a swimming lesson, a lady talked to my mom. The lady asked my mom whether I can be interviewed for DIAC's (Department of Immigration and Citizenship) project on Harmony Day. They needed people from different backgrounds to be interviewed. My mom told the lady that I had two best friends, so my best friends were going to be interviewed, too.

Last Friday morning my friends and I gathered at the North Ainslie Primary School playground for interview and shooting. There were two ladies, two cameramen, the interviewees: four teenagers, Sophia, Trinh, me and our mom/dad. The lady explained to us what we should do and gave my mom a list of questions that we have to answer during the interview. It was our first experience to be interviewed!

The questions were quite difficult for children, but my mom wrote down the answers for me. She made easy and funny answers from children's views. The questions were: 1). What is your cultural heritage? How important is your cultural heritage to you? 2). What does harmony mean to you? Why celebrate harmony day? 3). What does it feel like to belong? How do you know you belong? Do you think that Australia makes everyone feel that they belong? 4). Why is it good for Australia to have people from different backgrounds living here?

My mom was glad, because I was the last second to be interviewed, so I had enough time to practice. My mom reminded me to be confident, relax and smile! She also taught me to use body language.
This is me.

This is Trinh.

When it was time for action, all cellular phones had to be silent. When the crew was not satisfied, then we had to do it again. The shooting was paused several time, because there were airplane, helicopter and car with a loud horn disrupted us.
On the first shooting, we have to say: "Help us celebrate Harmony Day. Everyone belongs!"
Wow, it was really a wonderful experience!
Well, if you want to see the results, you can open the DIAC website in March!

No comments:

Post a Comment